Just lately, Hurricane Ike barreled across the greatest city in Florida, making electrical shortages for 2.1 million residents of Miami, destroying millions of dollars in properties, and asserting at least 13 lives. Amidst the flotsam and jetsam of debris from flooded and water damage Miami, FL houses, an individual would comment at the devastating power of Mother Nature because she unleashes her fury.
The following are some basic tips that homeowners can follow to minimize or prevent the extent of water damage in Miami, FL style.
- Don’t forget to look at your insurance policy and know what’s included in your policy, as well as exceptions and limitations. With a continually active occurrence of storms and water damage in Miami, FL, along with other parts of the nation, it would be sensible to maintain your insurance policy coverage in check.
- Backup or create copies of all your important documents, information, and memorabilia and keep them all in a safety deposit box. You might also use an easy to retrieve content that you may readily pull out if the need arises for you to evacuate your houses.
- Don’t underestimate storm and flood warnings. Susceptible to water damage Miami, FL residents must heed these warnings and act immediately before it is too late. There are lots of bulletins and statements each time a storm is brewing and a big potential for water damage to Miami, FL. It would be wise for residents to monitor these warnings, and be prepared for the arrival of potential evacuation. If the phone for evacuation was published, homeowners must immediately decide and move to a safer location.
- If the threat of flood is evident, or when there is a big chance of water damage, Miami, FL residents should be wise enough to transfer valuable furniture and electrical appliances into a higher place in their homes. You can get better protection against floods at these high levels unless the house was totally submerged in floodwaters. If motion or transfer of furniture and appliances is impossible, attempt to lift these items by placing blocks or timber high enough to elevate the things to at least one foot.
- Basements are the most vulnerable to flooding due to their sub-level site. Remove as many precious things from the basement as possible during eminent flooding. It would also be wise to cut off electricity from the cellar and other sub-level rooms. Eliminate organic substances from the basement. These include paper, books, carpets, rugs, and other things made from organic material. Molds and mildew thrive in organic materials, especially if these have been exposed to prolonged contact with moisture or water.
- If a disaster occurs and there is an onslaught of water damage, Miami, FL residents should act quickly and perform remediation. They can perform this on their own, or even better, employ the services of a professional restoration firm. There are several reliable and capable companies managing water damage in Miami, FL. Find one which is a documented member of the IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification). In parallel, the corporation also needs to be compatible with your own insurance billing, therefore it would be wise to inquire regarding payment options first before minding their providers.
In almost any water damage situation, instant action is a key factor that every homeowner must be well aware of, especially for hurricane-prone residents of Miami, FL. Prolonging action or delaying it for a later time could spell disaster for the home and its inhabitants.
For Water Damage Restoration, Call the PuroClean Disaster Restoration Pros
As you can see, there are a lot of ways that water can damage your property. Follow the following preventive steps to avoid dealing with water damage claims in your house. However, if water has affected any of your possessions, you will need professional restoration services. For emergency flooding water, disaster cleanup, and repair removal solutions, contact your regional PuroClean office.